The initiative to establish the School of Administration and Accountig was due to the desire to rehabilitate the project idealized by the founder of the Academy of Commerce, Francisco Batista de Oliveira, entrepreneur, founder and collaborator of newspapers, fervent Catholic, convinced republican, creator in that institution of the first course in commerce in the country, today called Accounting, inspired in the School of Advanced Studies in Paris. Batista de Oliveira’s project only became a reality in 1941, with the creation of the Superior Course in Administration and Finance.
The School was inaugurated on April 2, 1941, and its classes were held in the evening shift. The course lasted three years and conferred, at the end of it, the degree of Bachelor in Economics, a denomination that came to have from 1943 on, according to Decree Law No. 1988. In 1944, when the second class of economists graduated, the new course began to face several difficulties, receiving few students and graduating a reduced number of economists, with decreasing trends. This situation was only reversed in 1954, as the number of enrollments and, consequently, of graduates, increased. Between 1954 and 1955, federal funds arrived at the School, which allowed the Congregation to purchase a property for the School’s headquarters and to acquire furniture and books, in addition to the payment of professors and employees.
The School remained at the premises of the Commerce Academy until June 1956, when it moved to its own headquarters at Avenida Barão do Rio Branco, 3460. In August 1959, the Congregation of the Juiz de Fora School of Economic approved the preliminary draft for the creation of the Federal University of Juiz de Fora. On December 23, 1960, the President of the Republic sanctioned Law No. 3858, which created the Federal University of Juiz de Fora. At that time, the School of Economics transferred its assets, relating to the property where its headquarters were located, to the Federal Government. From that date on, the School of Economics went through a phase of academic consolidation, acquiring its own life, as an institution belonging to a public University.
After the mid-1980s the School, fulfilling its objectives, which have always been one of vanguard and development, created and began the course in Administration, becoming the School of Economics and Administration. At the end of the 1990s, courses were launched at the specialization level in the managerial area, which corroborated the consolidation of the institution with the university and civil society, meeting demands from these sectors.
In 2004, the School of Economics and Administration created the Master’s in Economics. This project aimed to meet the great demands in regional and local studies in the field of Economics. The master’s ended up consolidating a more research-oriented characterization of the Economics course, generating the feasibility, in December 2009, of the separation of the Schools of Economics and Administration.
Thus, the School of Administration was created in January 2010, which immediately proposed the creation of the Accounting course, in accordance with the Restructuring and Expansion Plan for Federal Universities – REUNI.
With the approval of the Accounting course, in September 2010, the Congregation, defining the new directions of the newly created School of Administration, unanimously approved the name change to School of Administration and Accounting (FACC).
By promoting the creation of semi-attendance courses, the School of Administration and Accounting started to graduate bachelors in Public Administration (in Brazil and in Mozambique), as well as specialists in Public Management, Municipal Public Management and Public Health Organizations Management.
The last move to expand the college occurred through support for the structuring of the advanced campus in Governador Valadares, consolidating in the municipality two departments and the undergraduate programs in Administration and Accounting.
In 2015, the FACC obtained from the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Level Personnel (Capes) the authorization to offer the Academic Master’s Degree in Administration and the Professional Master’s Degree in Public Administration. In 2016, by decision of the Unit Council, the CESPAC – Center for Studies and Research in Administration and Accounting Sciences – was created, which will coordinate the research efforts of the academic unit.